Fiji Mud Walt Smith – 5,4kg/12 lbs
- Natural South Pacific reef mud fills your refugium with minerals and nutrients
- Contains trace elements and small organisms to feed your hard or soft corals
Walt Smith’s reef mud feeds your reef aquarium the essential minerals and nutrients. Natural ocean mud from the islands of Fiji in the South Pacific feeds and nourishes your hard or soft corals. Contains naturally-occurring major and minor trace elements.
The mud is also rich with a multitude of 5 to 100 micron-sized organisms that benefit Acropora and other small polyp stony corals. Two sizes: a 12-lb Starter bucket or a 24-oz Booster jar to replenish naturally dissipated mud.
When first starting your refugium, use the 12-lb starter bucket and apply 1-2″ directly to your refugium. Replenish any naturally dissipated mud with the 24-ounce booster can. Or, you can also add this product directly to your aquarium substrate at the rate of one teaspoon (5 ml) per 100 gallons (380 L) twice weekly. To utilize this method, first mix the appropriate amount of mud with aquarium water and pour directly into the water flow. The water will become cloudy, but will clear overnight.
- You should replace between 20-30% of the mud every 4-6 months. The mud will naturally replace some of its own nutrients in the normal cycling and through algae growth.
- Mud can be easily added to any existing live sand you have. It is NOT recommended to discard any sand you have already established. Instead, either layer 1 inch of mud on top of the existing sand, or mix the sand and mud together.
- Whenever you place mud in your tank, you should expect the water to cloud for a short period of time. Do not worry if some of the mud settles on your coral – simply create some wave action in front of your corals and the mud should sink and settle down to the bottom.
- The best way to add mud to your refugium is to turn your refugium off when mixing the mud and let it stand until the mud settles in the refugium (approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour). Once the mud has settled, restart your refugium.
Store unopened containers in a cool place. Refrigerate after opening. Best if used within six months of sticker date.
Made from mineral- and nutrient-rich natural reef mud, culled from the South Pacific reefs off of Fiji in 40-50 feet of water. It is packed full of naturally occurring major and minor elements and an elaborate network of 5 to 100 micron-sized organisms. Contains no additives, preservatives, pharmaceutical grade minerals, binders, or buffers.