Hanna HI783 Magnesium pocket checker is suitable for reef aquariums
The Magnesium Checker® HC for seawater is a handheld colorimeter that determines the magnesium concentration colorimetrically. The Magnesium Checker was specially developed for measurement in a seawater aquarium and uses the Beer-Lambert principle for colorimetric determination of the magnesium concentration for this purpose. The range of 1000 to 1800 ppm magnesium is suitable for reef aquariums stocked with fish or with fish and corals.
Magnesium is the third most abundant ion in seawater, surpassed only by sodium and chloride. Its abundance is critical to the formation of weak ion pairs with carbonate ions. This allows calcium and carbonate ions to be available for uptake by corals and invertebrates. Low magnesium levels result in low or unstable calcium and alkalinity levels. Signs of low magnesium levels include precipitation of calcium as insoluble calcium carbonate and impaired growth and health of inhabitants.
The CHECKER® HC mini photometers offer an interesting alternative between simple chemical test kits and compact meters. The handy photometers combine precision with an affordable price and are very easy to operate thanks to their large LCD and just one button. The automatic switch-off function ensures the longest possible battery life.
Recommendations for Users
Before using this product, make sure it is entirely suitable for your specific application and for the environment in which it is used. Any variation introduced by the user to the supplied equipment may degrade the checker’s performance.
For your and the checker’s safety do not use or store it in hazardous environments.
Tips for an Accurate Measurement
• Measure liquids accurately by syringe by drawing up the plunger until the bottom seal of the plunger is at the desired volume mark. Do NOT raise the liquid to the mark as this will give a false high volume.
An air gap between the plunger and liquid is normal. See image at the right.
• Always use clean, dry cuvettes and syringes/tips. Rinse with deionized (RODI) water only; never rinse with tank water. Dry the cuvettes before use to prevent dilution.
• Ensure the sample does not contain any debris.
• Whenever the cuvette is placed into the checker, it must be dry outside and free of fingerprints, oil and dirt.
• Wipe the cuvette thoroughly with HI731318 microfiber cleaning cloth or a lint-free cloth prior to insertion.
• Shaking the cuvette can generate bubbles, causing higher readings. To obtain accurate measurements, remove such bubbles by swirling or by gently tapping the cuvette.
• Do not let the reacted sample stand too long after reagent has been added, as accuracy will be affected.
• Discard the sample immediately after the reading has been taken or the glass might become permanently stained.
• Keep the tips with their appropriate syringes during measurement. Clean the syringes and tips before storage.
Scope of delivery:
Each HI783 is delivered in a case with custom insert and is supplied with:
• Sample cuvette and cap (2 pcs.)
• Marine Magnesium reagent starter kit (reagents for 25 tests)
• 1 mL graduated syringe and tip (1 pc.)
• 5 mL syringe and tip with black printing (1 pc.)
• 5 mL syringe and tip with blue printing (1 pc.)
• 1.5V AAA Alkaline battery (1 pc.)
• Instruction manual
• Quick-reference guide