The DSR Method in short! (read the DSR blogs if you get started)
– Experimental method and use is at your own risk. (experiment runs from January 2012 on my own aquarium)
– Tailor your own salt to size.
– No more periodic water change.
– Correcting skewed water values possible (eliminating imbalances in salt water, such as NaCl, Kh, Ca, Mg).
– Control of 12 values by means of known basic substances. (transparent: you know what you put in your bin)
– DSR Calculator that calculates the dosage of all substances.
– Stable values through measurement and continuous corrections
– More beneficial as the aquarium gets bigger.
– By means of periodic measurements more information about the status of your bin.
– Possibility to supplement with other trace elements outside the DSR elements.
– Starting immediately (stop changing, measuring and completing the DSR procedures)
– Immediately stop (start water exchange and stop with DSR substances and procedures)
In total, the DSR program contains 14 substances of which eleven are measured.
The measured substances, test sets used and the substances used for correction:
1- Salinity: D & D Ocean Refractometer (DSR Pure NaCl)
2- KH: Salifert KH (DSR Sodium Bicarbonate)
3- Calcium: Salifert Ca (DSR Calcium Chloride)
4- Magnesium: Salifert Mg (DSR Magnesium Chloride)
5- (DSR Magnesium Sulphate) is only used in the production of new water
6- Potassium: Redsea ReefCare Potassium test (DSR Potassium Chloride)
7- Strontium: Salifert Sr (DSR Strontium solution)
8- Drill: Salifert Boron (DSR Drill solution)
9- Iodide: Salifert I2 (DSR iodide solution)
10- Phosphate: Redsea Reefcare PO4 test. (DSR Phosphate solution)
11- Nitrate: Salifert NO3 (DSR Nitrate solution)
12- Iron: Sera Fe (DSR Iron solution) is also phosphate reducer in DSR
13- Nitrate reducer: (DSR Carbon – vinegar / sugar solution)
14- For healthy buttons: (DSR Amino / VitaminC solution)
So you need the test sets and the raw materials to start with the DSR method.
The (rough) estimated costs for the maintenance of an average well-running reef aquarium are between 150-250 euros per year for 500 liters. (exception aside)
The initial purchase of the test sets is about 150-170 euro (some test you had to have as a serious aquarist).
If you want to work with DSR, read the various DSR topics or contact the DSR distributor, because I think that guidance is necessary at this stage and I keep following the developments. Also follow the development of the WWW.DSRREEFING.NL forum
A dosing device is not necessary, but makes it easy.
I myself have a 4 channel dosing pump in use and sometimes I have 2 extra channels, if this should prove necessary.
The latest DSR calculator can be downloaded via the forum.
or via DSR website
In the calculator you have two choices:
– compose a new batch of saltwater to size
– measure and correct the values by dosing with the calculated quantities
An iron solution is used to lower primary phosphate, secondary it acts as nitrate reducer and iron spore element.
A carbon source (Carbon) is used in the form of vinegar / sugar to reduce nitrate.
Everything is present in the DSR method to manipulate the 11 values in both positive value and negatives values.
Essential minerals, trace elements and food / waste are sent, making water bills unnecessary.
Realize that you can not just stop water changes you have to set something against, to keep your values up to standard.
in principle you do not need other supplements outside of these 14 substances to maintain the aquarium.
How you get started with it is fairly extensive in various topics based on example situations.
If you can not find the way, you can ask topic in the DSR method , that's it.
The DSR Method originated from the perspective of a user who does not want to pay the main prize for everything, it is my view on how keeping a marine aquarium should be.
It is my goal to keep the marine aquarium fun and affordable for everyone and bring the hobby to a higher level for a broader audience, without running into all the pitfalls.
A lot of information can be found at:
Last modified by GlennF (developer of DSR) ; 18-02-14 at 22:10.